Thursday, February 2, 2012

TV Review: How I Met Your Mother


First off, I really couldn't find any sort of decent promo or commercial for this show. They all advertise specific seasons, or are specific scenes, but I chose the season seven promo because that's the season currently airing.

I started watching this show on Netflix pretty much because it showed up in my suggestions, and I have now seen all six seasons available on Netflix. I also "acquired" all season seven episodes up to the current one to air last Thursday. The show mixes up the traditional sitcom structure, and begins with informing us it is now the year 2030, and Ted (the series main character) is going to narrate to his children how he met their mother, starting back in 2005 (the year of the shows start).

He starts off not by simply telling the damn story, but narrating how he met his children's Aunt Robin, Ted's ex-girlfriend. This is one problem me and many other people have with the show, it's basically like "Hey kids, you know your Aunt Robin, I totally hit that!"  And he essentially goes on in the series to describe in detail to his children every chick he banged in his twenties. Okay. Whatever. Suspension of disbelief.

The other main characters are Lily and Marshall, one of those super annoying couples everyone hates who met their first week of college and stayed together forever. There's Robin, who becomes part of the gang after they meet her in a bar and is a somewhat cynical television news reporter, and Barney, everyone's favorite, a sex addict with some sketchy corporate job who wears suits 100% of the time and hates monogamy.

This show hardly ever makes me laugh. I've just got to say. The jokes are fairly predictable, and even though Niel Patrick Harris (Barney) is fantastic, the writers keep giving him essentially the same material over and over for seven years. But despite this, for some reason I can't stop watching it. Maybe it's its spot on observations of real life phenomena (like The Mermaid Effect, or Crazy Eyes) or I've invested so much finding out who the damn mother is I can't give up now. I don't even know if I can recommend it or not. I guess you should watch it because it's basically our generation's Friends, but it's not really my type of comedy. Maybe the soap opera aspect is more what grabs me.

Entertainment Value: 3
Artistic Value: I really have no idea how to rate the artistic value of a sitcom. 1, I guess, but not in a bad way?

5 comments:

  1. I love HIMYM! I find it hilarious, but maybe because that group of friends is similar to my own (I'm the robin). I've seen every episode at least twice. I see your points, but I am constantly laughing, so I guess it is my type of humor. And also, NPH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on the show because I don't understand how it would take this long to tell your kids how you met their mother. I'm more impatient than you are haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the people I know really enjoy this show, and I have to say, having started from season 1 and having watched each episode in order really adds to the plot. I understand how annoying it is that Ted still hasn't met his wife but I think the show is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, aside from NPH pretending to be straight, there's not much that's funny about this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for explaining this show to me; I'll see bits of it sometimes when I'm channel-surfing, and have never understood what's going on. It's interesting that it's so popular it keeps running.

    ReplyDelete