Friday, February 24, 2012

TV Review: Pretty Little Liars


I'm actually a little ashamed to admit I like this show, and have avoided posting a review of it. But I'm addicted. I can't stop watching. I have long been a fan of the ridiculous teen drama genre, from Degrassi to One Tree Hill (before that show got too ridiculous, even for me). I decided to start watching Pretty Little Liars based off nothing but hearing the title. I mean something called "Pretty Little Liars" is something I was bound to enjoy.

The plot is actually somewhat unique and complex. The pilot takes place a year after Alison, the four main character's (Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily) friend and Rosewood High School's most popular girl went missing from a sleepover. They discover her body in the first episode. Flashbacks show us Alison was an insufferable psychotic sociopath, and the list of those with a grudge against her is long. But what high school drama really lead someone to premeditated murder?

The four main girls (commonly referred to as "the Liars") start receiving weird text messages from someone who identifies themselves only as "A". This A person is blackmailing them with all of their secrets (a lot that only Alison knew) and generally making their life hell. The Liars try to dodge this crazy stalker, solve Alison's murder, and live as normal teens all at once.

This show is so addicting I can't even describe it. I am only on episode 2X04 and I'm dying to find out who A is. All of the characters are fairly likeable with a few exceptions, which is rare for a teen drama. Some of their reactions are unrealistic, like, at what point do you say fuck it and call the police about "A"? Sure, some of the secrets A is holding over them they could go to jail for, but I'd honestly be willing to go to prison to make this shit stop at this point. It's ridiculous. Oh, and the show's main couple is horrible and creepy, over-the-top sappy and it's a teacher fucking a high school student. They're horrible, I fast forward through their scenes. The show also suffers from "Dawson casting" (25 year old teenagers, and 35 year old parents) but that's become standard television faire.

Despite it's problems, I'd recommend this show to any girl. I can't imagine most men liking it though, unless you want an excuse to look at some ridiculously hot chicks. I swear every person on this show is gorgeous. Like I said above, it is very unique for it's genre (I was surprised) and incredibly intriguing.

Entertainment Value: 5.
Artistic Value: Ehh... 2? It's from ABC Family...

No comments:

Post a Comment